Monday, January 19, 2015

I've started a new habit, and I think it's beneficial. Many sources that I use recommend drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning. There are many benefits to this habit: 

  • The lemon triggers bile flow, aiding in digestion
  • Lemons provide vitamins and antioxidants that help boost the immune system. 
  • It helps balance pH in the body while hydrating tissues. 
  • It helps dissolve uric acid, which can cause joint pain and inflammation
  • It provides minerals and helps prevent overgrowth of pathogens. 
  • It helps stimulate elimination.
  • It generally just helps wake you up .
For the past several weeks, instead of rolling out of bed and reaching for the coffee, I pour boiling water over a squeezed lemon quarter instead. I sip this while I set my intention for the day and make my to-do list. Once I've finished that, I fill my big water bottle and get my workout done before breakfast.
I feel that this new habit has helped me cut down on my coffee consumption, but I still usually have a cup after breakfast. I like waiting to eat until after my workout so my body can focus on the workout and not on digesting. Then my breakfast becomes recovery fuel (usually in the form of a Shakeology) for my muscles. However, if I am unable to workout until later, or if I'm headed out for a bike ride I eat after my lemon water.

Are you willing to give it a try? You don't have to give up coffee...just put it off a bit.  Let me know what happens after two weeks.





No comments:

Post a Comment