Tuesday, April 22, 2014

21 Day Fix Review

I almost finished the 21 Day Fix, Team Beachbody's newest fitness and nutrition program by bikini model Autumn Calabrese.

By almost, I mean I stuck to the plan perfectly until day 18 when I ate pizza, then skipped day 19 & 20 workouts and ate a burger a fries! Even though I was vacationing the last week, I was able to stick to the diet and do the exercise in the hotel room, and I have no excuse for the pizza and burger... Day 21 I was back on plan, and did the double workout that was supposed to be on Day 20. 

So what was this Fix about and how did I like it?

First of all, with the program you get colored plastic containers, one for each food group int he meal plan. You do an easy calculation before you begin to determine which caloric intake tier you are in. Then you know how many servings of each container group to eat each day.
There is a list of approved foods for each category to choose from. I am a vegetarian (yeah, we'll just forget that tummy-ache-inducing burger last weekend) so I had to finagle the Red group (protein) a bit. I needed 4 servings per day. A serving of Shakeology is in that group, I ate one Quest Bar for another because I'm using up my stash before going totally vegan, and a vegan protein bar, tempeh, or seitan for the other two servings. Often I'd get to the end of the day short one Red serving, so I'd have a protein bar or shake. It worked.

When I first opened the package I thought the containers looked tiny. They are deceiving, though, because you can cram a lot of stuff into them. I never once felt hungry or deprived on the meal plan. 
I got to eat avocados, hummus, nuts and seeds, fruits, and loads of veggies. I think the real key to the success of the meal plan is the limits on the Yellow food group, which is basically starches and grains. Just two servings a day, and a serving is ONE piece of whole grain bread or about 1/2 a cup of brown rice, etc.

The workouts were 30 minutes a day for the first two weeks, and the third week there were two 30-minute workouts a day, preferably at different times of the day. Most of the exercises use multiple muscle groups. There are usually 1 minute intervals with 15 second breaks in between, so you don't get much rest between sets. There is equipment needed...2 sets of hand weights or an exercise band. A mat is helpful, too. In the hotel, I had a hard time with the band, so I used a couple of gallon jugs of water. Like I always say, there is always a modification for everything. 

The first week, despite just finishing P90X3 and cycling often, I was SORE. I mean really, really sore. My legs were sore to the touch by the end of the week. There are no recovery days in this program, but Thursdays were Pilates and Sundays were yoga days, so that was active recovery. The second week was a lot easier, as my body adjusted to new movements. 

Overall, the workouts were enjoyable, and there is a modifier for everything. Autumn is encouraging, and does almost all of the workout with you, unless she is specifically pointing out some form on one of the other people on the screen. She's also easy on the eyes...

So how did I do? Despite my total fail at the very end, I still ended up losing quite a bit in just three weeks.  I was down 4.4 pounds (actually down more after week 2), lost 1-1/4" from waist, 1" from bust, 1" from midriff and 1/2" from lower ab. 

Would I recommend this program? Definitely for people who struggle with portion control. The meal plan is simple and there is minimal cooking and food prep. Definitely for people who need a quick fix for an upcoming event, to tone up, lose 4-10 pounds in a month. 

I will be doing the program again, after my Ultimate Reset. I will definitely keep the 21 Day Fix workouts in my rotation, along with select workouts from P90X3 and T-25. 


So, in closing, remember to LISTEN TO AUTUMN. Don't undo your hard work in the kitchen (or the pizza place, or Red Robin) and if you're tired of starting over, don't quit!

Find out more here: 21 Day Fix


No comments:

Post a Comment