Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Knowledge is HEALTH

I'm working my way through all those protein bars and taking notes. There will be a review post soon!

Meanwhile, I'd like to share a link to a scary article about chicken. 
 7 Horrifying Truths About Your Chicken Dinner 

What are you reading these days? I'm about 40% through My Beef With Meat by Rip Esselstyn. It's a quick read, with many diverse reasons to cut meat and animal products out of your diet. There are health and environmental reasons, all backed up with scientific evidence. While I agree with much of what the author says, I have found one "beef" of my own. While he recommends breast feeding infants for as long as possible, he also advocates soy-based formula for infants that must be weaned or can't nurse and tofu as an introductory solid food. WUT I do NOT agree. He also hates all plant oils, calling them overly processed, prone to rancidity, empty calories, and referring to them as snake oil. He also points out just how many olives it takes to make one 32 oz bottle of EVOO. It takes 1,375. It strikes me as contradictory that he is against processed oils, but not processed, fermented soy. Otherwise, I'd say that I've gleaned a lot of great information from the book so far. 

Yesterday I went to the local chain supermarket. I just needed one item, but I though I'd browse around. I was reminded why I hardly ever shop there anymore. The aisles are chock full of processed, chemical-laden, factory-made food. Much of the produce looked less-than-fresh, and I couldn't even find organic vanilla yogurt for my daughter (were not ready to go full vegan yet) that didn't contain questionable chemicals. Mainstream food in America: made in a factory, or on a factory farm, and shipped hundreds, if not thousands, of miles to a big box grocer. 


A little research could change your life. Knowledge is power. Knowledge is HEALTH. 

Sure it takes a little more effort to feed yourself and your family at first, but just like anything else, a little practice makes perfect, and you'll soon it will become second nature...just like opening a bag of chips in front of the TV used to be!  Just remember, any small change, applied consistently over time, will bring results. The more small changes you can add, the more benefits you will see!

Today is Farmers' Market day in my city. Yay! I get my CSA box every other week, and this is my in-between week, so I won't get much. My plan is to pick up some organic strawberries and heirloom tomatoes, and meet a friend for a glass of wine at a local wine bar that happens to have outdoor seating on the same block as the market. 






No comments:

Post a Comment